The World According To Fred is my blog, although no, my name is not Fred - but don't worry, that's a common misconception... My posts are a compilation of all the things that pass through my mind - a running commentary of my view of the world. Please feel free to comment and please say if there are any subjects you would like Fred to take a view on - I really do want to know!!!! In the meanwhile enjoy:
The World According To Fred

Monday 21 March 2011

Derren Brown: Svengali Tour

“There`s no magic, no mysticism… There is nothing that defies rational thought…It`s not possible. I`m not a believer. I can`t be. But how can I deny what`s right in front of me?” It’s just a quote from a TV programme, but somehow it sums up how I felt after going to see Derren Brown live last Thursday night. After the show finished, I left with my brain alive with questions that my mouth couldn’t get out. For the first time in my life, I was genuinely speechless.

Of course, I can’t tell you anything that happened in the show because A) I don’t want to ruin it for anyone reading this who might be going to see him later on in the tour, and B) the magic man told me not to, and after everything I’ve seen, I greatly fear his powers. However, the opportunity to blog about one of (if not the) most talented man on earth, is too great to miss. So without revealing too much, I plan to give you at least a glimpse into my thoughts.

Most people have seen him on TV: predicting the lottery numbers or making a ‘Hero at 30,000 Feet’. Wherever you’ve seen him, it cannot be denied that he is a master at what he does; however, there are many sceptics who will say that it’s televised – of course it’s been edited. But take it to the stage and it’s a whole different kettle of fish. Some things were explainable; some plain freaky; and some were impossible.

Naturally, what makes it more enjoyable is to be in the company of someone who falls easily under the influence of the hypnotists ‘charm’ – like my dad. We went to a hypnotists show in Gran Canaria when I was younger, and I ended up watching some things that no young child to should see their parent doing (despite the fact he still claims that he “knew what [he] was doing the whole time, [he] was just pretending”, I know different. Nice try, but no such luck). After that, I knew we were likely to be in for an eventful evening, although unfortunately he wasn’t pulled up on stage like I had at first hoped. However, the evening was a phenomenal event – absolutely terrifying, and mind blowing but possibly the best stage show I have ever seen. Plus, front row seats meant that the magic and beauty of his art was – literally – close enough to touch.

There is no question that he is a genius; it cannot be done by just anyone, not even a talented magician. The truly spectacularly gifted are few and far between, and I feel extraordinarily gifted to be one of those who were able to see him. Try as you might, you cannot explain how he does these things; you just have to have to have a little faith. Seeing is believing.

No comments:

Post a Comment